This taco skillet is the ideal weeknight dinner. It is so easy to make, takes no time at all, tastes amazing and keeps you full! I really love tacos but sometimes I find the taco shells and tortillas to be too much when I want to have more than 2 tacos. Making lettuce cups with Boston lettuce is a great way to keep this recipe low-carb and healthy!
I used a basic taco seasoning for this recipe to keep things simple and quick. However, it would be great if you made your own taco mix as well. Next time I will probably do that. I also love the use of ground turkey which keeps this recipe very lean, I can’t even tell the difference.
The addition of black beans and corn which is high in fiber and adds more flavor and depth to the tacos. Top your taco with a little bit of chopped avocado and it also adds a great source of healthy fats (monounsaturated fats).
You must try these tacos if you are a taco fan and want to keep your carb in-take down. I think I will keep this in rotation on my weekly dinner list because I did not get sick of it and of course there were tons of leftovers, which is great! The inspiration for this basic taco skillet came from Pinterest!
Because I am so busy in school and work I have been making meals a head of time that I can eat when I get home. I would say this taco skillet recipe was one of the fastest things to heat up and prepare. Just warm your taco meat in the microwave and assemble tacos!
What You Need:
- 1 pound of ground turkey.
- 1 package of your favorite Taco Seasoning.
- 2 medium green bell-peppers, diced small.
- 1 medium onion, chopped.
- 1 can tomatoes and diced green chiles (Old El Pas0).
- Boston Lettuce Cups.
- Can of corn, rinsed and drained.
- Can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained.
- juice of lime.
- Toppings: Salsa, shredded cheese, avocado, etc.
What To Do:
- Heat a medium sized skillet over medium heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Saute onion and bell pepper until cooked, soft and brown (season with salt and pepper). Put onion and peppers on a plate on the side.
- Return skillet to heat and brown the ground turkey. Once cooked drain off excess fat. Stir the peppers and onions back into browned meat. Stir in tomatoes then add the taco seasoning packet (add a bit of water if needed).
- Let cook on stove until the taco mixture begins to thicken and flavors begin to develop.
- While taco meat is cooking combine the can of corn and black beans with lime juice and 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Remove Boston Lettuce cups from lettuce head to make taco shells and build tacos. Lettuce then black bean corn mixture, taco meat, cheese, salsa, and avocado.
Serve with tortilla chips to scoop up the leftovers that fall out of the taco shell.
These can be a little messy but it is totally worth it!